We have a number of top birding hotspots in the Soutpansberg and Venda region with special birds easy to get.Some of the birding hotspots includes Roodewal Forest,Hanglip Forest,Muirhead dams and forest,Thohoyandou Botanical Garden,Thathe Vondo Forest,Luvuvhu River and Dams,Albasini Dam.In Venda region we have got community campsites like Gundani Campsite,Golwe Vhuri-vhuri Campsite and Sagole Baobab Big Tree.
The Botanical garden is at Thohoyandou town on the R524 road to Punda Maria.This is a recent reliable site for sought after species Blue Spotted Wood-Dove.Other common birds include Pink Throated Twinspot and Green Twinspot,Eastern Nicator,Gorgeous Bush-shrike,etc
Entabeni Forest is an Afro-temerate Mist-belt Forest situated on the Entabeni Plantation. The forest is extensive, but only parts of it are easily accessible. A main forestry road passes through one patch of the forest and close to another.
- Orange Ground-Trush, Black-fronted Bush-Shrike, White-starred Robin, Ge Twinpot, Knysna Turaco, Scaly-throated Honyguie, Yellow-streaked Greenbul, Collared Sunbird an Brown Scrub-Robin.
An easily accessible Afro-temperate Mist-belt forest with a picnic site and short trails. This is an old birders haunt and the birding is good. Listen out for the resdient Scaly-throated Honeyguide in the picnic site. This is the best place to find White-starred Robin and Yellow streaked Greenbul. A short (20 min) circular walk starts from the picnic site.
- Scaly-throated Honeyguide, White-starred Robin and Yellow streaked Greenbul',Narina Trogon,Buffspotted Fufftail,Lemon Dove,Crested Guineafowl.
Levubu Post office
Muirhead Dams and forest situated along the central Soutpansberg few kilometers on the R524 road from Louis Trichardt to Punda maria road.This is another place in South africa to find the Blue-Spotted Wood-Dove,one of the top birds in the Soutpansberg area.
- Blue-Spotted Wood-Dove, African Pygmy Goose,Lesser Moorhen, Horus SwiftBuff-Spotted Flufftail,Dark-Capped Yellow Warbler,Gorgeous Bush-Shrike,Green Twinspot,Golden Weaver
Roodewal Nature Reserve Forest
The vegetation is Semi-deciduos Scrub Forest which is low canopy forest with a mix of woodland,riverine and Afro-montane trees species.
- African Broadbill Eastern Nicator, Scaly-Throated Honeyguide, Narina Trogon,Green Twinspot, Gorgeous Bush-Shrike and African Crowned Eagle.
- African Pygmy Goose(more than two pairs),Lesser Jacana,African Purple Swamphen,Allen's Gallinule,White Backed Duck,Osprey,African Fish Eagle,