We have a number of top birding hotspots in the Soutpansberg and Venda region with special birds easy to get.Some of the birding hotspots includes Roodewal Forest,Hanglip Forest,Muirhead dams and forest,Thohoyandou Botanical Garden,Thathe Vondo Forest,Luvuvhu River and Dams,Albasini Dam.In Venda region we have got community campsites like Gundani Campsite,Golwe Vhuri-vhuri Campsite and Sagole Baobab Big Tree.
Entabeni Forest is an Afro-montane Mist-belt Forest situated on the Entabeni Plantation. The forest is extensive, but only parts of it are easily accessible. A main forestry road passes through one patch of the forest and close to another.
- Orange Ground-Trush, Bat Hawk,Black-fronted Bush-Shrike, African Broadbill, White-starred Robin, Green Twinpot,Grey Cuckooshrike, Knysna Turaco, Scaly-throated Honyguie, Yellow-streaked Greenbul and Brown Scrub-Robin.
An easily accessible Afro-temperate Mist-belt forest with a picnic site and short trails. This is an old birders haunt and the birding is good. Listen out for the resdient Scaly-throated Honeyguide in the picnic site. This is the best place to find White-starred Robin and Yellow streaked Greenbul. A short (20 min) circular walk starts from the picnic site.
- Scaly-throated Honeyguide, White-starred Robin and Yellow-Streaked Greenbul,Narina Trogon,Buffspotted Fufftail,Lemon Dove,Crested Guineafowl.
Muirhead Dams and Reserve
Muirhead Dams and forest situated along the central Soutpansberg few kilometers on the R524 road from Louis Trichardt to Punda maria road.This is another place in South africa to find the Blue-Spotted Wood-Dove,one of the top birds in the Soutpansberg area.
- Forest birds:Blue-Spotted Wood-Dove,African Broadbill,Green Twinspot,Yellow-streaked Greenbul,Chorister robin-Chat,White-starred Robin,Dark capped Yeloow-Warbler.Water birds: African Pygmy Goose,Lesser Moorhen, White-Backed Duck,Half Collared Kingfisher,African Fish Eagle.
Roodewal Nature Reserve Forest
This is the best most reliable site in the Soutpansberg for African Broadbill.The best time to hear the African Broadbill is in summer just before dawn and just after dusk.
The vegetation is Semi-deciduos Scrub Forest which is low canopy forest with a mix of woodland,riverine and Afro-montane trees species.
- African Broadbill,Eastern Nicator,Scaly-Throated Honeyguide, Narina Trogon,Green Twinspot, Gorgeous Bush-Shrike and African Crowned Eagle.
- African Pygmy Goose(more than two pairs),Lesser Jacana,African Purple Swamphen,Allen's Gallinule,White Backed Duck,Osprey,African Fish Eagle,